Weight- loss: Week 1 – Post Mortem
Week one was filled with both successes and failures. Fortunately, the successes far outweighed the failures and I am very happy about that.
There were a few things I discovered last week that should help me attain my goals:
1. It is easier to plan my meal before eating. When I planned my meal I was able to balance calories.
2. It is better to cook rather than eating out or ordering in. For example for both, Friday night I didn’t plan and instead of cooking we ordered Indian food. I figured it was harmless curry chicken and a half order of Garlic Naan. I was horrified once I added that food to my journal. My calories for that day amounted to a whopping 2200 calories which busted my calories goal. Total calories for dinner was 927.
3. Have a backup fitness plan and be flexible. For instance, I was unable to walk at lunch time because one day it was raining and the other day was just too cold. As an alternative I walked on the treadmill after work. In addition, I didn’t go to the gym on Friday, instead I did aerobics at home.
4. Have a playlist for each type of workout. I have a playlist for each of my workout types. They include songs that are fast, mid-tempo, or slow at just the right spots for the workout. My playlist also give me the extra motivation during my workouts because it is almost like I am dancing to my favorite music. This helps because I almost forget I am working out.
I feel great, my back doesn’t hurt while I walk now. I don’t feel boggled down from the overindulgence of junk food. However; I do need to stretch more and find better shoes for walking. My feet sometimes hurt after working out.
The following are the results from Week One.
Week 1. Sunday 3/3/13 to Sunday 3/10/13
Goal: Walk around the block everyday at lunch. If it rains, either climb the stairs or walk on the treadmill at the gym.
Goal: Workout at the Gym Friday, Sat, and Sun. Include strength training on Friday and Sunday.
Results: Achieved. My Weekly Total / Goal: Workout mins: 425 / 270 Cals Burned: 2976 / 2180
Goal: Stay away from the scale!
Results: FAILED. I peeked at least three times last week.
Goal: Stay between 1500 – 1700 calories a day. (keep a food journal)
Results: FAILED. Friday I ate over 2200 calories.
Goal: Do not eat any junk food or drink any sodas, including diet soda.
Goal: Add a fruit and veggie to every meal.
Goal: Do not eat any red meat.
Goal: Drink at least five glasses of water a day.
I only failed two of my goals, which were using the scales and staying within my calories goals. To mitigate these failures for next week I will pre-plan each meal regardless if I cook. I will remove the scale from the bathroom which should help reduce the urge to step on the scale to monitor my weight-loss progress. I am staying away from the scale because I don’t want measure my weight-loss by daily monitoring my pounds. I do not want to get discouraged if I don’t see the pounds coming off as fast as I think they should. Instead, I will weigh-in at the end of every month.
Below is the goal for week 2.
Week 2. Starting Sunday 3/10/13 to Sunday 3/17/13
1. Walk around the block everyday at lunch. If it rains, either climb the stairs or walk on the treadmill at the gym.
2. Workout at the Gym Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sat, and Sun. Include strength training on Friday and Sunday.
3. Stay away from the scale!
4. Stay between 1830 – 2180 calories a day. (Because of my planned fitness)
5. Do not eat any junk food or drink any sodas, including diet soda.
6. Add a fruit and veggie to every meal.
7. Do not eat any red meat.
8. Drink at least five glasses of water a day.
I am already off to a good start on Week 2, I burned 652 calories and did over 5 miles.